1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content

Blue Ash :: History

Blue Ash, founded by pioneer settlers in the late 1790s, takes it name from the logs of the blue ash trees used to build the community's first church, the Carpenter's Run Baptist Church. The church created a cemetery in 1797, now known as Plainfield Road Cemetery.  John Conklin was one of the earliest settlers, owning all of the land in the area in the early 1800s.  Blue Ash remained a farm community for many years, incorporating as a village in 1955 and as a city in 1961.

In 1922, the Parks Watson Airport was built, with airmail service to Louisville and Cleveland starting several years later. The community fought an effort to turn that airport into Cincinnati's major metropolitan airport after World War II, and today the Blue Ash airport is owned by the City of Cincinnati and remains a busy, regional airport.

During the 1960s Blue Ash became home to Raymond Walters College, a branch of the University of Cincinnati. In the 70s and 80s the community grew rapidly with the addition of commercial and industrial developments. But Blue Ash remains dedicated to preserving its historic roots, maintaining the Pioneer Cemetery and acquiring and renovating the Hunt House, which has become a museum dedicated to the history of the community.

More Information:

A Brief History Of Blue Ash

Cincinnati: a guide to the queen city and its neighbors

History of Hamilton County

More Blue Ash Online

Official Home Page of Blue Ash:

The city is equal parts industry, residential and public space, a balance many find attractive. On sunny summer evenings, you can find a crowd of Blue Ash residents listening to free concerts at the Blue Ash Towne Square.

Read more @ Cincinnati.com »